Since November 2013, NELC Xplore has collected funds, distributed supplies, and taught English at the Su Taung Ryae Tai Yin Lu Nge (National Race and Youth Development Monastic Training Center and Orphanage) outside of Yangon. The orphanage, overseen by the Monastery, houses more than 670 children from ethnic villages across Myanmar in a facility originally built to house only 400 children. The orphanage relies solely on donations and receives no government or international support. NELC Xplore has sponsored this orphanage and donates a small portion of profits to support and expand the orphanage’s activities.
NELC Xplore is looking to further expand its efforts with the school and orphanage by brining on volunteers to teach English and any other skills they bring to the fore such as music, dance and arts. Volunteers will be provided accommodation on site as well as meals.
- Must be fluent in English
- Must be dedicated to the task of teaching and helping around the orphanage – volunteers may be asked to help maintain the facilities at the school
- Must volunteer for a minimum of 2 weeks
- Must be friendly
- Must have a good time
- Experience Myanmar culture in a unique way
- Give back to communities and youth in need
- Learn about the Monastic education system and its role in Myanmar
- Contribute to Myanmar's progression and development
- Help those who are in the most need of a helping hand
- Share your culture and learn from theirs
- Broaden students' horizons
NELC Xplore will assist volunteers throughout their stay at the orphanage by assisting with logistics, translation, teaching materials and other volunteer needs. NELC Xplore staff are located offsite about an hour away but are always available to assist volunteers.